Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I am injured on the job?

Report the injury to your employer immediately. Medical benefits should be provided from the day of injury. During the first 28 days of treatment, your employer has the right to choose the doctor. After that, you are free to change doctors providing that you notify your employer and insurance company, preferably in writing. After that time, you also do not need authorization from the insurance company or your employer to be medically treated, as long as the treatment is reasonable and necessary, and your claim is not in dispute.

There is a seven-day waiting period to be eligible for wage-loss benefits. If your wage loss lasts longer than seven consecutive days (including weekends and holidays), you are entitled to benefits starting on the eighth day. If your wage loss continues for 14 days or longer, you are entitled to payment for that first week of disability. Weekly benefits are roughly 80 percent of your after-tax wages.

What is workers' compensation insurance?

Michigan’s injured workers and their employers are governed by the Workers’ Disability Compensation Act. This Act was first adopted in 1912 and provides compensation to workers who suffer an injury on the job and protects employers’ liability.

How do I file a claim with Retailers Insurance Company?

Report serious injuries and death claims immediately, by telephone, to the Sedgwick claims office. In the event of a death, employers should also notify the state within 8 hours by calling 800.858.0397.

Policyholders are encouraged to report work comp claims online or via telephone any time of the day or night to Retailers Insurance Company’s third-party administrator, Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc. The number for reporting claims is 866.764.7705. Policyholders should be sure to reference Retailers Insurance Company and/or the contract number, 1578, when reporting the claim.

Before reporting a claim, employers are encouraged to go to the Sedgwick Workers’ Compensation Standard Intake Form to see the information that will be needed over the phone.

Employers and employees can monitor claims online at

Find an Agent Near You

Search for an Independent Insurance Agent who can quote our insurance products.