Ice and snow season is here – and it’s time to make sure you’re prepared for the weather. A slip and fall can cause a workers’ compensation claim, or a lawsuit from a customer. Stop an accident before it starts by following these key steps to keep your business safe!
5 Ways to Prevent Slip and Fall Incidents:
- Be prepared for winter weather: From salt and sand for sidewalks to proper footwear and clothing for employees, get what you need now and make sure items are properly distributed to employees.
- Check for possible ice dams causing icicles or places where water may pool and freeze: Mark these areas in advance with a cone or signage to warn customers and employees to avoid the area. If possible, make a repair.
- Keep an eye on the weather: Snow or ice en route? Ensure employees know the weather is coming and make sure procedures are in place to clear ice and snow from parking lots and sidewalks.
- Talk to your team: If you aren’t out and about, talk to your employees or customers to make sure there are no slick spots around your business.
- Make a closure plan: Winter weather can cause hazardous road conditions, make sure you have a reliable means of communicating with workers to notify them of a business closure or change in report time.
If a slip and fall happens: If an individual is injured, contact Retailers Insurance Company as soon as possible.
For more on winter weather preparedness, head to the OSHA website.